CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Mantle and Built-In Revamp

I met Claire through Facebook over the Summer.  She had me paint her master bathroom vanity with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in French Linen.  Since then, she has taken our Fall family photographs (check her out at Claire Roberts Photography) and did an amazing job!

Claire contacted me before Christmas and wanted to purchase a gift certificate for her mother for Christmas.  She wanted me to paint her parents' oak mantle.  Her parents built a house in a beautiful neighborhood in Trussville, but it has a LOT of oak cabinetry and mill work.  The Steadman's home is gorgeous.  They just don't build houses like the ones built in the late-1980's/early 1990's.  The solid oak mantle and oak built-in desk/book shelf were great to start with, but they are working on some updates to the interior, so painting these fixtures was right in line.

Here are the before photos of the mantle and built-in desk/bookshelf:



(Nice coffee cup and impact driver, right??)  I ALWAYS seem to forget to take a "before" shot until after I've removed doors or have a bunch of junk in the way.....*sigh*

Claire and I decided on Amy Howard One-Step Paint in Selznick Grey.  I knew once I added my favorite Ralph Lauren Faux Glaze in Tobacco, it would change the "grey" undertones to more taupe.  Mrs. Steadman decided she wasn't sure about any distressing to the edges, so we opted not to do it.  So, after two coats of paint, some new hardware and glaze, this was the finished product.




Detail of glazing in crevices

Dark oil-rubbed bronze hardware and hinges

What a difference!!  The desk has several shelves that go in the top section. I left those out so that the homeowners could adjust them for their books.

What do you think?

0 comments: