CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 23, 2014

healthy eating

We started this before the year ended, so I won't claim this is a New Year's resolution.  My husband and I want to lose weight, but more importantly, we want to be healthy.  Healthy for our son, healthy so we can live longer and feel better doing so.

He has stuck to an exercise routine and I have not.  He has lost almost 50 pounds...me, not so much.  We are both eating healthier, not consuming processed foods and cooking at home.  I struggle with this part.  Brad loves to cook.  We've been married over 10 years and he has primarily been the chef in the family.  Not only is he great at it, he truly enjoys it.  I have to be in the right mood to cook.  I don't really enjoy it at all.  I'd be satisfied with a sandwich or bowl of cereal for supper.  However, that's not teaching our son good eating habits.  He just turned 9 and, while not a picky eater, he doesn't like to try new foods.  I've been "mean mom" and even sent him to bed without supper if he didn't at least TRY what was cooked.  I despise the fact that Brad and I both are guilty of cooking for us, then making Logan something he likes.  This has to stop.  We are doing him a disservice.  Maybe your kids are better eaters than mine?  More adventurous?

Here are some things we've found that he likes (and we love):

KALE




Considered a "super food," kale is super cheap, super easy to cook and super tasty.  =)  Our favorite way to prepare kale is to cut the stems off, wash the leaves really well and saute with onion, garlic, salt and chicken stock in a little olive oil.  Start by sauteing the onions and garlic until the onions are tender.  Add the kale and chicken stock (I make my own by adding some chicken base to hot water) and sprinkle with salt.  Turn the kale until it starts to wilt and turns bright green.  It will be done in 2-4 minutes.  Serve it hot.  It makes a great side dish with most any meat. 

We were SHOCKED when Logan asked to try it (after we'd offered it to him numerous times).  He loved it.  Score 1 for mom and dad!


BROCCOLI

Logan's liked broccoli okay for about 5 years.  He has recently stopped wanting to eat it, though.  The problem with cooking broccoli is that people tend to over cook it to the point it's not bright green and vibrant.  At that point, it's lost most of its vitamins. So, just steam it until it's bright green and stop.

ROASTED VEGETABLES
Logan won't eat these, but we've been making whole meals out of veggies alone.  
     -Sweet Potatoes:  Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees on "Roast."  My over has a Convection Roast setting. Peel and cut into large chunks. Place in baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and salt.  Bake for 20 minutes or until fork tender. Will start to turn dark on the edges....this just makes it yummier.

    -Cauliflower:  Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees on "Roast."  Remove leaves and cut florets into 1"-2" pieces. Rinse and drain.  Place in a 9x13" baking dish floret-side up. Drizzle with olive oil and salt and roast 25 minutes. 

    -Brussels Sprouts:  I've never had them much or liked them...until we started roasting them.  Cook them the same way you do the cauliflower above.  These and the sweet potatoes are my favorite.

So, no preservatives or sugar, just clean eating.  Enjoy!



 


0 comments: